3 Frequently Asked Questions about Reporting a Car Accident in Washington

If you are involved in a serious car accident in Washington, there are several tasks you must perform as soon as possible. An accident can be a traumatic event—particularly if there are injuries or fatalities—but if you follow the right protocols, you will be in a better position to submit a comprehensive claim for injuries you sustained or any property damage that occurred.

Gavel and law books

If you are suffering from car crash injuries, you may benefit from contacting a qualified Seattle car accident lawyer. At Richard McKinney Law, we have extensive experience in personal-injury law, and we will put our knowledge to work for you.

Richard McKinney graduated top of his class from Stanford Law School, and he has been practicing law for more than 40 years. Do not take a chance with your injuries; call us today at 844-933-1605 to schedule an appointment and discuss your accident.

Here are three FAQs about reporting car accidents:

  1. Who should I report the crash?

According to the Washington State Department of Licensing, if a law enforcement officer is present at the scene of the crash, you do not need to file a report. The officer on the scene will complete the necessary paperwork. If there is no official on the scene, each driver involved in the crash must submit a report.

You have four days after the crash to file your report. These reports are available from the sheriff’s office, a local police station or from the Washington State Patrol website.

  1. What information will my driving record include?

The Washington State Department of Licensing will attach pertinent information to the driving record of all drivers involved in a crash when serious injuries or more than $700 of damage occurred. It will also include:

  • The date of the crash
  • How many vehicles were involved
  • If the cars were stationary or moving
  • If there were any injuries or fatalities
  • The accident report number

The information does not include details on who was to blame for the crash.

  1. How do I report uncompensated damages?

According to DMV.org, if you are in a crash with a driver who is not insured and you have not received compensation, you can report it to the Department of Licensing within 180 days. In order to qualify for compensation, you must have sustained an injury or at least $700 in property damage. If the uninsured driver refuses to pay, the Department of Licensing has the power to suspend his or her license.

If you sustained serious injuries in a car crash, you are not alone. At Richard McKinney Law, we can evaluate your claim for medical expenses or lost wages, and determine if you have a legitimate case.

Richard McKinney is an experienced Seattle personal-injury attorney who will defend your rights as a car crash victim. Call us today at 844-933-1605 to schedule an appointment and discuss the particulars of your case.